REMINISCE FOR A SPELL OR SHALL I SAY THINK BACK

JAZZ - SOUL - FUNK - OBSCURE



I read that music lives in and unfolds in time. Welcome to the music of my mind. Music that I think needs to be heard. Music that warms my soul.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Airto Moreira - Fingers


I never thought the cuica could be funky until I heard this.  Airto - master percussionist, sideman extraordinaire....king of the talking drum.  CTI release, 1973.  Creed Taylor with production credits.  Small ensemble with large sound.

Personnel: Flora Purim on percussion and vocals; Airto Moreira on percussion and vocals; David Amaro on guitar; Hugo Fattoruso on keyboards and harmonica; Jorge Fattoruso on drums; and Ringo Thielmann on electric bass.

Tracklist
Fingers
Romance of Death
Merry-Go-Round
Wind Chant
Parana
San Francisco River
Tombo in 74

When you mix Brazilian traditional instruments with rock, funk, and jazz this is what you get.  The tone of the cuica carries this...I don't think I've heard it played like this anywhere else.

Fingers


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. A little light on the "Afro". Sounds watered down, not what I'd expect from Brazil.

    ReplyDelete