REMINISCE FOR A SPELL OR SHALL I SAY THINK BACK

JAZZ - SOUL - FUNK - OBSCURE



I read that music lives in and unfolds in time. Welcome to the music of my mind. Music that I think needs to be heard. Music that warms my soul.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Les McCann - Hustle to Survive


The defination of soul jazz.  Hustle To Survive (1975, Atlantic).  McCann was past the glory days of Swiss Movement but this is a nice record.  Sometimes when you peak early (Swiss Movement and Layers), this kind of record becomes more of the reality.....got to hustle to survive.  This is that attempt to recapture that earlier magic.  There are some fantastic moments here...Herbie Hancock plays his ass off.  Love McCann's voice.

Personnel: Les McCann (vocals, strings, Clavinet, keyboards, synthesizer); Shiela Raye (vocals, percussion); Miroslaw Kudykowski (guitar, organ); Herbie Hancock (piano); Jimmy Rowser (bass guitar); Harold Davis (percussion).

Tracklist
Us
Changing Seasons
Got to Hustle to Survive
Butterflies/Everytime I See a Butterfly
Says Who Says What?
Will We Ever Find Our Fathers
Well, Cuss My Daddy
Why Is Now
Let Your Learning Be Your Eyes

Us is a burner....pure and simple.
Us
 

Bookmark and Share

4 comments: