REMINISCE FOR A SPELL OR SHALL I SAY THINK BACK

JAZZ - SOUL - FUNK - OBSCURE



I read that music lives in and unfolds in time. Welcome to the music of my mind. Music that I think needs to be heard. Music that warms my soul.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss


1971 Atlantic. This isn't a jazz album.   This is a soul album.  Kirk is serious  - it's an album of mostly interpretations of pop songs but this is not a commercial pop jazz album.  Not covers......interpretations.  Kirk is making a point and getting to the roots of jazz.  The counter argument, at the time of its release, was this was too "populist" a recording.  Too "Pop". The argument is silly.  This is a workout..growls, chants, wild energy....the first time I heard this it stopped me in my tracks. 

Personnel: Rahsaan Roland Kirk (vocals, guitar, flute, stritch, manzello, tenor saxophone, trumpet, gong); Cissy Houston, Princess Patience Burton (vocals); Cornell Dupree, Keith Loving, Billy Butler (guitar); Charles McGhee (trumpet); Dick Griffin (trombone); Richard Tee, Sonelius Smith (piano); Mickey Tucker (organ); Khalil Mhrdi, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (drums); Arthur Jenkins, Jr., Arthur Jenkins , Richard Landrum (congas); Joe Habad Texidor (percussion).

Tracklist
Ain't No Sunshine
What's Goin' On 
Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
I Love You Yes I Do
My Girl
Which Way Is It Going
One Nation
Never Can Say Goodbye
Old Rugged Cross
Make It With You
Blacknuss

Title track - a blues jam with vocals by Kirk and Cissy Houston and Sonelius Smith on piano....check his runs.  "Jump up and down on it!"

Blacknuss



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment